Saturday 1 October 2016

My academic stance

I respect the academic tradition. After all some of my best friends are academics :-)

I have worked in an academic sphere in High Schools and at  Polytechnical Institute and have received a good amount of academic training over the years: a BSc degree, a Trained Teacher's Diploma and a TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) Certificate.

Nevertheless I am not an academic. I don't wish to squeeze into that box. There's too much I'd have to sacrifice to play that game and jump those hoops.

You see, I also value experimentation, intuitive thinking, instinct and creativity. I believe that these are undervalued by the education industry.

I enjoy using both sides of my brain (together with my soul). I value hands-on experience, and have been fortunate enough to accumulate a couple of decade's worth regarding language acquisition.

Yes, I do believe that a lot of useful things have been discovered by academics, and I am fully prepared to make use of them. But I don't believe that organized education is the 'be all and end all'.

No comments:

Post a Comment